Clipped From The Brooklyn Daily Eagle
BROOKLYN'S OLDEST DRUGGIST. Dr. Bay Will Doubtless Be Honored at Next Meeting of Pharmaceutical Associates. The Pharmaceutical Society of Kings County when it meets next month after the summer recess will take steps to honor Its treasurer and one of its oldest and most respected members, who has the distinguished record of being the only physician and pharmacist in Greater New York who is about to complete fifty years' service to the public at one store and at one corner. He is Dr. Peter W. Ray and his place of business Is at the northeast corner of South Second and Hooper streets, in the Eastern District, or. strictly speaking, 379 South Second street. Dr. Ray's store is a frame building, but inside it is quite modern, the man at the head of It being one of the most respected members of. the profession of medicine, pharmacy In the borough. Dr. Ray took possession of the store August 24, 1850. The coming Friday, therefore, will mark his jubilee. When he began business Hooper street was called Eleventh street, the Eastern District being then the City of Williamsburgh, with a population of 65,000. There were no streets going through from Grand to Broadway above Union avenue and Hooper street had not then been cut through. Two frame houses adjoined Dr. Ray's store and they are there yet. People at that time used to go down South Second to Keap street and cross the open lots to Broadway The latter thoroughfare was then considered a poor business thoroughfare, while Grand street was, popularly speaking, the street of Williamsburgh. It was for that reason that Dr. Ray chose the location on which he 'still carries on business, thinking that Hooper street would be the thoroughfare which would be the busiest one, crossing from Grand street to Broadway, but In this he was mistaken.